Connect with us

CRIME

Court Sentences Lagos Prince, Oyekan to death

Published

on

An Ikeja Division of the Lagos State High Court, has sentenced Prince Adewale Oyekan, and a domestic staff, Lateef Balogun, to death by hanging for the murder of Alhaja Sikirat Ekun, a member of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.

Prince Adewale, is the son of Lagos Monarch, Adeyinka Oyekan, who passed away on March 1, 2003, and Oba Rilwan Akiolu takes over.

The convicts who have been in custody for seven-years, was said to have murdered the deceased by strangling her and throwing her corpse in a 1,000 feet well located in her home.

While convicting and sentencing the defendants, Justice Raliatu Adebiyi in a two-hour judgement said that the prosecution had proved the charges of conspiracy to commit murder and murder beyond reasonable doubt.

She said that the circumstantial evidence was strong and cogent, the act of the defendants in killing the deceased was intentional and premeditated.

“The court finds that the prosecution has proved beyond reasonable doubt the offence of conspiracy and murder and are accordingly found guilty of the two-count charge.

“Section 221 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State 2011 stipulates the punishment for the offence of murder as follows. Subject to the provisions of any other law, a person who commits the offence of murder shall be sentenced to death.

“Same is the punishment for conspiracy to commit murder as contained in Section 231 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State 2011.

“The above cited provisions of the law does not give the court any discretion whatsoever in sentencing the defendants.

“For this reason the first and second defendants are hereby sentenced accordingly on each of count one and two to death by hanging. May God the giver of life have mercy on your soul.”

According to the state prosecution led by Mr Akin George, the convicts committed the offences at 1am on Oct. 17, 2012 at the home of the deceased located at No. 5, Babatunde Lalega St., Omole Phase One, Lagos.

The prosecution stated that the deceased was a restauranteur who knew Oyekan due to her friendship with his late mother. To render assistance to the prince, Ekun employed him as the manager of her restaurant.

“Balogun the second defendant, was a former domestic staff of Ekun who was employed by her to take care of her elderly father. His employment was however terminated following a dispute with Ekun.

“The convicts conspired, killed the deceased and threw her corpse in a well within the premises of her home and took over her businesses and properties including her bus which was sold for N170,000.

“When any enquiry was made by family and friends about her whereabouts, Oyekan informed them that she had traveled to Abuja for the Ileya (Id el Kabir) festival. He passed this information by sending a text message from Ekun’s mobile phone.

“Following panic and worry from members of Ekun’s family and after an extensive search, her corpse was found two months later in December 2012 by well diggers and fire fighters.

“The convicts had placed a generator, a gas cylinder and other household items on the corpse to conceal it in the 1,000 feet well,” he said.

The trial at the High Court began on April 14, 2015, five witnesses including police officers, Mr Iyiola Olaniyi, the nephew of the deceased and Mrs Folashade Amurun, the only child of the deceased testified on behalf of the prosecution.

Oyekan and Balogun, testified in their defence. While testifying, the convicts both denied knowing each other noting that they met for the first time at the police station. They also denied committing the offence.

Oyekan in his evidence said that he met Ekun who was a friend of his mother at a PDP rally in 2011 after he had returned from the United States of America after obtaining a degree in architecture.

He said he met the deceased thereafter at her home where she offered to assist him by employing him to manage her restaurant.

Earlier in the trial, before the sentence was passed, Mr O. C Onwumerie, the defence counsel did not make an allocutus (plea for mercy).

“I will be leaving sentencing to the hands of the court,” he said.

[give_form id=”2423″]

Top Court News is a product of a dedicated Journalist, owner of I-Wahab Media The Publisher started his Journalism career with Murhi International TV, MiTV in 2003 before working with Radio Nigeria, Lagos Operation, as a Judicial Correspondent. He is presently the Vice Chairman of the National Association of Judicial Correspondent, NAJUC, Ikeja Branch and occupied same office with Nigeria Union of Journalist, NUJ, Radio Nigeria Chapel. topcourtnewsng.com is out to serve you with informative and educative News in the Judiciary sector. To put an end to the under reported activities of the sector among the three arms of government

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CRIME

Alleged Killers Deny Role In The Killing of Minor

Published

on

By

The alleged killers of a 7-year-old Kazeem Rafiu have pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiracy and murder.

This followed the arraignment of the two suspects, four years after they allegedly committed the offence.

Adedoyin Oyekanmi and Erinmole Adetokunbo denied killing the boy on Monday at their arraignment before Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo of the Special Offences Court in Ikeja.

In 2017, 26-year-old, Erinmole and Adedoyin were remanded in prison custody in connection with the death of Kazeem Rafiu.

When the matter was called, the court registrar read charges: “That you, Adedoyin Oyekanmi and Erinmole Adetokunbo, on June 7, 2017, at about 2pm on Oke-Oniburokun Street, Odokekere, Ikorodu, Lagos, in the Ikeja jurisdiction, did conspire among yourselves to commit felony, to wit: murder, thereby committing an offence.

Also read: Court Orders Remand of Former JAMB Registrar, Ojerinde, Pending Trial

“That you, on the same date, time and place, in the aforementioned jurisdiction, did kill one Kazeem Rafiu, aged seven, by cutting off his head with a cutlass, thereby committing an offence.

“That you, without lawful justification or excuse, dismembered the remains of one Kazeem Rafiu, aged seven.”

Erinmole and Adedoyin was said to have lured the boy from his parents’ house on Sotunyo Street to the church’s premises on Oke-Oniburokun Street, Odo-kekere, Ikorodu where he was said to have been killed.

Read Also: Sexual Assault: Magistrate Denies Baba Ijesha Bail for Lack of Jurisdiction

Also the defendants were said to have beheaded him and buried the head around the church’s altar, while the body was kept in a canal.

Erinmole was later apprehended by residents. He was said to have confessed to to the crime with Adedoyin.

Upon denying the allegations against them, the judge fixed November 6, 2021 for commencement of trial

[give_form id=”2423″]

Continue Reading

CRIME

Businessman Land In Court Over Insulting Policemen

Published

on

By

Justice Anas Isa, of Karu Grade 1 Area Court, Abuja, has granted a businessman, Lekan Sebanjo, five hundred thousand naira bail with two sureties.

The judge granted him bail after his arraignment for allegedly insulting police officers on duty.

According to Police, Sebanjo who resides at Jikowi, on the outskirts of Abuja, obstructed police team in the discharge of their functions.

Also Read: EFCC Arraigns Pastor Over Diversion of Church Funds to Personal Use

“A team of policemen led by ASP Bukar Mohammed intercepted an offender and his vehicle.

From nowhere, Sebanjo came out and began to rain insults on the police operatives thereby obstructing them from discharging their functions,’’ Adeyanju told the court.

The prosecutor, Ayotunde Adeyanju, told the court that the offence contravened provisions of the Penal Code.

Sebanjo denied the allegation.

After entertaining submission of Counsel, the judge granted him bail and adjourned the case to October 6 for hearing

[give_form id=”2423″]

Continue Reading

CRIME

Fanatic Group, White Rabbits Leader Sentence To 53yrs Imprisonment

Fanatic Group, White Rabbits Leader, Emily Claire Hari Sentence To 53yrs Imprisonment for bombing a Minnesota mosque in 2017.

Published

on

By

A transgender woman who led a militia called The White Rabbits has been sentenced to 53 years in prison for bombing a Minnesota mosque in 2017, the Justice Department announced.

Emily Claire Hari, 50, was convicted last year on five counts including the bombing, destruction of religious property and using force to obstruct worship, the department said in a statement late Monday.

It said that Hari who at the time identified as a man, Michael Hari organised a “terrorist militia group” named The White Rabbits in Clarence, Illinois.

Hari recruited two men, Michael McWhorter and Joe Morris, into the group, and on August 5, they attacked the Dar al-Farooq Islamic Center (DAF) in Bloomington, Minnesota, around 500 miles (800 kilometres) away.

In the early morning hours, as some people were gathering at the mosque for prayers, they broke a window and threw containers of volatile fuel and a pipe bomb inside, which exploded, causing heavy damage.

Also Read: SFU Opens Trial Of Syndicate who Theft N.9Billion From FCMB

“Hari targeted DAF specifically to terrorize Muslims into believing they are not welcome in the United States and should leave the country,” the department said.

In January 2019, McWhorter and Morris pleaded guilty to the bombing, while Hari fought the case at trial.

Hari’s two accomplices have not yet been sentenced.

“Hari sought to terrorize an entire faith community. Today’s sentence makes clear that such acts of hate-fueled terror will not be tolerated,” said Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco in a statement.

AFP

[give_form id=”2423″]

Continue Reading

Trending