FEATUREDNATIONALRELATIONSHIPS

NURTW Chieftain Faces Trial as Family of Slain Dispatch Rider Awaits Justice

For months, the family of dispatch rider Ramon Imam has lived with the pain of a sudden loss that turned an ordinary workday on Lagos Island into tragedy.

Now, the Lagos State Government has brought a 55-year-old chieftain of the National Union of Road Transport Workers, Shamsudeen Oladiti, popularly known as “Shamelon,” before the Lagos State High Court in Ikeja over Imam’s death.

Oladiti was arraigned on a three-count charge bordering on involuntary manslaughter, conspiracy, and attempted murder.

At the hearing before Justice Olawale Alebiosu, the prosecution counsel, Jubril Kareem, told the court that the defendant and others still at large allegedly conspired to commit the offences between August 27 and September 17, 2025, at Lewis Street, Lagos Island.

According to the prosecution, Imam lost his life on September 17, 2025, after he was allegedly beaten with fist blows and repeatedly struck on the head and face.

The prosecutor also informed the court that Oladiti allegedly attacked another victim, Samuel Omale, on August 27, 2025, causing him severe injuries during a separate incident at the same location.

Read Also: Court Rejects Bail, Orders Accelerated Trial in Alleged $1.5m Fraud Case

Kareem said the alleged offences contravened Sections 224, 411, and 230 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State 2015.

However, Oladiti pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

Following the plea, defence counsel urged the court to grant bail to the defendant, informing the court that an application dated April 27, 2026, had already been served on the prosecution.

Although the prosecution did not oppose the application, it drew the court’s attention to a request by the defence seeking an order directing correctional authorities to confirm the defendant’s medical condition.

In a brief ruling, Justice Alebiosu granted the request and ordered the Controller of Corrections at Kirikiri to verify Oladiti’s medical status at a Lagos State Government hospital.

The court had earlier declined the defendant’s bail application due to errors in the initial filing.

The matter was adjourned until June 15, 2026, for trial.

Top_Court_News

Akinlade I. WAHAB is a dedicated journalist and the proprietor of I-WAHAB Media. He embarked on his career at Murhi International TV (MiTV) and subsequently joined Radio Nigeria as a Judicial Correspondent.With a profound interest in legal reporting, he currently holds the positions of Chairman at the National Association of Judicial Correspondents (NAJUC), Ikeja Branch, and Chairman at the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Radio Nigeria Chapel.As the owner of I-WAHAB Media, he has successfully established Top Court News, a platform renowned for providing comprehensive coverage of court cases and legal developments, with the aim of promoting transparency within the judicial system.Akinlade's diligent work and unwavering commitment to ethical reporting have earned him immense respect within the Nigerian journalism community.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button
Verified by MonsterInsights