Connect with us

FEATURED

Rapist, Ezeji, Sentence To 7yrs Imprisonment Over Child Defilement

Rapist Ifeanyi Ezeji was sentence to 7yrs imprisonment over defilement of his 12-year-old house help.

Published

on

A Chief Magistrate’s Court sitting in Port Harcourt has sentenced a 40-year-old man, Ifeanyi Ezeji, to seven years’ imprisonment without an option of fine for defiling his 12-year-old house help.

Ezeji was convicted on one count bordering on unlawful sexual abuse.

He was alleged to have defiled the victim at his house on Eastern Bypass, Port Harcourt, on February 11, 2019.

In her judgement, the Chief Magistrate, Felicitas Amanze, said the prosecution had been able to proved its case, adding that the defence team was unable to contradict the evidence before the court.

You May Also Like: Alleged Kidnapping: Magistrate Transfer Case File To Family Court

The chief magistrate said Ezeji’s denial of his statement was an afterthought.

She ruled that the convict was guilty of the offence punishable under Section 32 of the Child Rights Act, while frowning on the attempts by the victim’s family and Ezeji to settle out of court.

She said it was an act of wickedness for the man to lie to the court that the victim, who was a minor, had interest in him before he had carnal knowledge of her.

The chief magistrate further read that the evidence tendered before the court, including the victim’s medical report, the confessional statement made by the convict to the police and the N150,000 offered to the victim’s parent as settlement, were proof that the defendant committed the crime.

[give_form id=”2423″]

Top Court News is a product of a dedicated Journalist, owner of I-Wahab Media The Publisher started his Journalism career with Murhi International TV, MiTV in 2003 before working with Radio Nigeria, Lagos Operation, as a Judicial Correspondent. He is presently the Vice Chairman of the National Association of Judicial Correspondent, NAJUC, Ikeja Branch and occupied same office with Nigeria Union of Journalist, NUJ, Radio Nigeria Chapel. topcourtnewsng.com is out to serve you with informative and educative News in the Judiciary sector. To put an end to the under reported activities of the sector among the three arms of government

CRIME

Alleged Killers Deny Role In The Killing of Minor

Published

on

By

The alleged killers of a 7-year-old Kazeem Rafiu have pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiracy and murder.

This followed the arraignment of the two suspects, four years after they allegedly committed the offence.

Adedoyin Oyekanmi and Erinmole Adetokunbo denied killing the boy on Monday at their arraignment before Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo of the Special Offences Court in Ikeja.

In 2017, 26-year-old, Erinmole and Adedoyin were remanded in prison custody in connection with the death of Kazeem Rafiu.

When the matter was called, the court registrar read charges: “That you, Adedoyin Oyekanmi and Erinmole Adetokunbo, on June 7, 2017, at about 2pm on Oke-Oniburokun Street, Odokekere, Ikorodu, Lagos, in the Ikeja jurisdiction, did conspire among yourselves to commit felony, to wit: murder, thereby committing an offence.

Also read: Court Orders Remand of Former JAMB Registrar, Ojerinde, Pending Trial

“That you, on the same date, time and place, in the aforementioned jurisdiction, did kill one Kazeem Rafiu, aged seven, by cutting off his head with a cutlass, thereby committing an offence.

“That you, without lawful justification or excuse, dismembered the remains of one Kazeem Rafiu, aged seven.”

Erinmole and Adedoyin was said to have lured the boy from his parents’ house on Sotunyo Street to the church’s premises on Oke-Oniburokun Street, Odo-kekere, Ikorodu where he was said to have been killed.

Read Also: Sexual Assault: Magistrate Denies Baba Ijesha Bail for Lack of Jurisdiction

Also the defendants were said to have beheaded him and buried the head around the church’s altar, while the body was kept in a canal.

Erinmole was later apprehended by residents. He was said to have confessed to to the crime with Adedoyin.

Upon denying the allegations against them, the judge fixed November 6, 2021 for commencement of trial

[give_form id=”2423″]

Continue Reading

FEATURED

Lagos Judiciary Set To Begin New Legal Year

Published

on

By

The Lagos State Judiciary is set to begin its 2021/2022, Legal Year on September 27, 2021

A statement from the office of the Assistant Director, Public Affairs, Lagos State Judiciary, Mrs Ololade Ige, stated that the legal year would start with simultaneous service at Cathedral Church Marina, Lagos and prayer at Central Mosque, Nnamdi Azikiwe Street, Lagos on September 27, 10a.m.

There would be a parade of guards at the Tafa Balewa Square, TBS, Lagos.

[give_form id=”2423″]

Continue Reading

CRIME

Businessman Land In Court Over Insulting Policemen

Published

on

By

Justice Anas Isa, of Karu Grade 1 Area Court, Abuja, has granted a businessman, Lekan Sebanjo, five hundred thousand naira bail with two sureties.

The judge granted him bail after his arraignment for allegedly insulting police officers on duty.

According to Police, Sebanjo who resides at Jikowi, on the outskirts of Abuja, obstructed police team in the discharge of their functions.

Also Read: EFCC Arraigns Pastor Over Diversion of Church Funds to Personal Use

“A team of policemen led by ASP Bukar Mohammed intercepted an offender and his vehicle.

From nowhere, Sebanjo came out and began to rain insults on the police operatives thereby obstructing them from discharging their functions,’’ Adeyanju told the court.

The prosecutor, Ayotunde Adeyanju, told the court that the offence contravened provisions of the Penal Code.

Sebanjo denied the allegation.

After entertaining submission of Counsel, the judge granted him bail and adjourned the case to October 6 for hearing

[give_form id=”2423″]

Continue Reading

Trending